Thursday, April 5, 2012

Whole Wheat Lemon-Vanilla Cupcake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

PLEASE VOTE FOR ME!! ~I am STILL in the top 10 YAY! on Voiceboks Foodie Blog 2012, Click here! and look for my blog and vote. Thanks so much to my wonderful followers, you can vote everyday. The voting ends April 13th.~

______________________________________________________________






No matter what season it is, who can resist chocolate, if its chocolate chips, chocolate bar, chocolate icecream, chocolate cookie or a dollop of chocolate frosting!  I made these Whole Wheat Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes with the intention of topping them with some lemon - vanilla frosting, but I wanted some sort of chocolate that day, so I made up my chocolate buttercream YUMMY frosting and just put a dollop of frosting on top of the cupcakes and they were so good! So I want to share this healthy recipe with you.

Whole Wheat Lemon-Vanilla Cupcake

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vinegar
1 cup canola oil / applesauce

Mix all the wet ingredients thoroughly, and add dry ingredients.  Fill cupcake cups 1/2 full bake for 20 minutes, cool on wire rack, and prepare your frosting.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons fat free milk
1/4 cup of Hershey Dutch Cocoa
 
Beat butter for a few minutes on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of milk and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoon at a time.

Frost cupcakes, get a cup of cold milk and ENJOY!


I am linking up here!

11 comments:

  1. You bake the most amazing treats, Pam! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the wonderful comment!!

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from New Friends Friday Hop. These look so good ... I might have to bake a little this weekend!

    Brooke
    http://blueberrysquash.blogspot.com
    http://cupcakecucumber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the lemon and chocolate combo.
    buying my cupcake ingredients for those cute bird nest ones...
    Leigh @oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh let me know how those cupcakes come out!!

      Delete
  4. Yum yum yum! Seriously, me visiting this site often will lead weight-gain haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopped by from "Still on the Verge" New Friend Friday! Hope you swing by my blog too. I am now following you from all my available social network platforms. Have a blessed and wonderful weekend and Happy Easter. Fireplace Decorating

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy! My sister is a lemon fanatic! I am going to share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chocolate buttercream frosting…every time I visit here, I have to wipe the drool off my face!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all the comments that you leave me. I like to answer all comments through email, make sure that your email is attached to your account. Thank you for taking the time to come visit my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...